Hey! I’m Alina, a perpetual learner and crazy person in an endless pursuit for perfectly seared tofu.
This is an open list of things I enjoy and things that define me:
- I have an omnivore significant other. Yes, it’s possible to make it work, though some extra effort is required.
- I’m a no breakfast just black coffee person, so it was easy to try intermittent fasting.
- Favorite foods (randomly ordered): Soups (miso, ramen, Tom Kha, gazpacho), edamame, tofu, quinoa, mashed potatoes, wok vegetables, rice, broccoli, vegan sushi (especially avocado), guacamole.
- Favorite condiments: Salt, sesame, fresh coriander/cilantro, black pepper, good wasabi.
- As of December 2020 I’m hooked on Beyond Meat burgers. Though I still enjoy simple texturized soy too.
- I’m completely nuts about nuts, especially cashews and peanuts.
- Vegan since 2015, after first being pescatarian, then vegetarian for 2 years. I first went vegan as a time-limited trial, but the trial quickly turned into “this best resonates with me”.
- I live in Berlin (Germany), a place where the pork-based native cuisine is not exactly known for its vegan recipes. But it’s easy to find vegan products and good veggies and fruits.
- My culinary experiments and cooking in general have one thing in common: no deep-frying. I never make exceptions to that.
- I have a pretty extensive personal “collection” of allergies, starting with persistent (permanent) allergic rhinitis, severe lactose intolerance, lupin allergy, alcohol allergy, nickel allergy, random stuff from detergents and cosmetics, over-reaction to insect bites…and you get the idea so I’ll stop here. I’m extremely happy that soy and peanuts are not on my list of allergies.
- I have a severe phobia of bugs and I’m afraid of heights.
- I love storms and rain in general. I don’t remember how it started, but I loved them since I was a kid. Nothing else has a comparable effect on me.
- I love dogs. Immensely! I love animals in general, and when visiting somebody you’ll most likely find me in a corner of the house playing with the cats, dogs, or whatever pets are around — except arachnids. But dogs have the soft spot in my heart.